Recessed lights, also known as can lights or pot lights, come in different types and sizes. The size of the recessed light refers to its diameter, which typically ranges from 2 inches to 8 inches.
Here are some of the most common types and sizes of recessed lights:
- Standard (4-inch to 6-inch diameter): These are the most commonly used recessed lights, ideal for general lighting and task lighting.
- Mini Recessed Lights: These are smaller than standard recessed lights, measuring between 2 and 5 inches in diameter. They are perfect for highlighting artwork, decorative pieces, or other small areas.
3. Low-Profile (less than 4-inch diameter): These lights are smaller and designed to fit into tight spaces or low ceilings.
4. Adjustable: These recessed lights come with adjustable heads, allowing you to direct the light in different directions.
5. Shower Trim: These lights are designed for use in damp or wet areas, such as showers or outdoor areas. They are typically sealed to prevent moisture from entering the fixture.
6. Retrofit: These lights are designed to be installed into existing ceilings without the need for rewiring. They come with an LED light source and a trim that covers the existing hole.
Retro-fit recessed light with shower trim
7. Wall Wash: These recessed lights are designed to create a smooth, even wash of light across a wall, highlighting artwork or architectural features.
8. Eyeball: These lights are similar to adjustable lights but have a larger range of motion, allowing you to direct the light in any direction.
9. Baffle: These lights have a ribbed interior that reduces glare and creates a softer, more diffused light.
The type and size of recessed light you choose will depend on the specific lighting needs of your space.